- This event has passed.
DC Peace Conference: Refuge of the Future:FOOD DIPLOMACY AND SOCIAL ENTREPRENEURSHIP FOR REFUGEES AND IMMIGRANTS
September 22, 2018 @ 10:30 am - 2:00 pm UTC+0$11
Hostelling International DC invites the local community to the 8th Annual DC Peace Conference. A celebration of HI USA’s Sleep for Peace Campaign and UN International Peace Day, HI DC 2018 Peace Conference aims to explore food diplomacy and social entrepreneurship as tools of peace for refugees and immigrants. To that end, our highly knowledgeable speakers will lead presentations, panel discussions, and Q&A sessions.
The event features complimentary food (breakfast and a networking lunch). The breakfast menu includes: 734 Coffee, banana bread, Dafero date spread. The international lunch menu includes: Jollof rice with smoked chicken, bruschetta, hummus, and pita bread.
The keynote speaker is Manyang Kher, Lost Boy of Sudan and Founder of 734 Coffee. Other speakers include:
– Chef Mariano Ramos, Food & Beverage Manager, Carlos Rosario International Public Charter School
– Dr. Johanna Mendelson- Forman, Adjunct Professor at American University School of International Service, Senior Advisor at the Stimson Center, Senior Associate at the Center for Strategic and International Studies Program on Crisis, Conflict, and Cooperation
– Dr. Scott Edwards, Lecturer at GW Elliott School of International Affairs & Senior Adviser at Amnesty International
– Jessica Van Dop DeJesus, Founder of the Dining Traveler
– Lina Zdruli, Founder and CEO of Dafero, G20 Young Global Changer, & World Bank Consultant
– Patricia Funegra, Founder of La Cocina