Note: All submitted events must be approved before they appear in the calendar.
A highly anticipated event for puppeteers and puppet enthusiasts is back in person for the first time since 2019. This July, hundreds of puppeteers and fans will celebrate puppetry at the National Puppetry Festival, presented by Puppeteers of America. The festival will be held at the University of Maryland, Jim Henson’s alma mater. It runs July 18th – July 22nd and is open to the public. Festival registration is currently open, the last day to register is June 28th. At this immersive professional development and networking experience, participants will explore puppetry through workshops, performances, exhibits, special events, puppet films, a puppet slam, academic symposia, and more! This year, the festival will focus on the theme of Generations by honoring those that went before, celebrating those who are with us now, and encouraging those to come.
Festival Highlights include:
● 30 Live puppetry performances, by award-winning national and international artists
● A special program with Las Vegas legend and America’s Got Talent winner, Terry Fator
● A special tribute honoring Sid Krofft (H.R. PufnStuf, Land of the Lost)
● A bus tour of Jim Henson historical DC sites, with Craig Shemin & Heather Henson
● Workshops from the Jim Henson Foundation and Jim Henson Legacy
● A Puppet Parade on Saturday, July 22nd, free and open to all! Attend a Friday workshop to make a puppet and join the fun!
● Wonderland Puppet Theater historical exhibit
● The Charm City Cabaret, highlighting local Baltimore and D.C. talent
● Community Days with workshops and special events perfect for the whole family