N Street House Fire Provides Safety Lesson
By January 23, 2023 0 1258•
A Sunday morning fire in a Georgetown home was prompted by incorrect disposal of fireplace ashes from the previous night. The homeowner had believed the material was not a fire hazard, looking like burnt out ashes.
This was not the case around 9 a.m., Jan. 22, as the couple at 2905 N St. NW called the D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department and left the house with their two dogs. Sirens were heard within minutes, as the first fire engine arrived from the West End station on M Street. Many other trucks quickly joined the fight — stopping on N, 29th and 30th Streets. Onlooking neighbors were startled. The house fire was quickly knocked down — and D.C.’s Bravest left the scene in a little more than an hour.
D.C. Fire & EMS on Sunday simply tweeted: “Update Box Alarm 2900 block N St NW. Had fire in walls 1st floor rear 2 story frame row dwelling. All fire extinguished and incident under control with no injuries. Request fire investigators. #DCsBravest.”
The fire department then added this advice:
“A recent fire in the District originated with chimney materials placed in a trash can on the back porch of a home. Fortunately, the fire was extinguished before it could cause severe damage. Please follow these rules for discarding fireplace ashes. #DCFireSAFE”