Congratulations, Graduates! Guide to Local Commencements
By May 18, 2023 0 496•
We’re tipping our graduation caps to the class of 2023! Here are the highlights from commencements from local universities, with Georgetown and George Washington University’s taking place this weekend.
Georgetown’s commencement ceremonies will be held this weekend. Each undergraduate and professional school will hold their own ceremony featuring different marquee speakers. Expect to see the following speakers:
- The College of Arts & Sciences: Yamiche Léone Alcindor (class of ’09), Washington correspondent for NBC News.
- Graduate School of Arts & Sciences: Brian Greene, Columbia University professor of physics and math and director of the Center for Theoretical Physics.
- Georgetown Law: Savannah Guthrie (class of ’02), co-anchor for The Today Show and chief legal correspondent for NBC News.
- McDonough School of Business, undergraduates Dan Helfrich, Deloitte Consulting LLP chair and CEO.
- School of Health: Dr. Camara Phyllis Jones, King’s College London visiting professor in the Department of Global Health & Social Medicine.
- School of Continuing Studies: Jason Kander (class of ’05), President of National Expansion for the Veterans Community Project and founder of the Afghan Rescue Project.
- McCourt School of Public Policy: Frank H. McCourt, Jr. McCourt Global executive chairman and founder of Project Liberty.
- Walsh School of Foreign Service: Dasha Navalnaya, daughter of imprisoned Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny.
- School of Nursing: Rear Admiral Susan Orsega, senior advisor to the assistant secretary for health and the Surgeon General.
- School of Medicine: Dr. Joan Reede, Harvard University dean for diversity and community partnership.
- McDonough School of Business, graduates: Igor Smelyansky, CEO of the Ukrainian Postal Service.
George Washington University:
GWU’s commencement celebrations are also this weekend. Their National Mall Commencement is Sunday at 10:30 a.m. Featured speakers include:
- Bryan Stevenson, founder and executive director of the Equal Justice Initiative.
- D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser
- Medical researcher Michael Milken
AU’s commencement weekend was last weekend, but The Washington College of Law is set to graduate Saturday May 20 at 12 noon. Featured speakers from commencement included:
- Alice Albright, CEO of Millennium Challenge Corporation
- Adena T. Friedman, chair and CEO of NASDAQ
- The Hon. Larry Hogan, 62nd governor of Maryland
- Supreme Court Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson
- Julie Kent, artistic director of The Washington Ballet
- Ted Leonsis, Monumental Sports & Entertainment’s founder, chair, principal partner and CEO
Howard University’s commencement was also held the weekend of May 12-14. Commencement orator was President of the United States Joe Biden. Honorary degree recipients included:
- A. Eugene Washington, M.D., MPH, M.Sc.
- Rep. James Clyburn (D-S.C.)
- Benaree Pratt Wiley, president and CEO of The Partnership, Inc.
- Bruce A. Karsh, Oaktree Capital Management co-founder and co-chairman
- Martha L. Karsh
- Prime Minister Dr. Keith Christopher Rowley
Catholic University’s commencement celebrations were like Howard and AU, the weekend of May 13. Honorary degree recipients included:
- Thaddeus F. Aubry, B.A. 1966, founding director of Partnership Program
- Dr. Arthur C. Brooks
- Marguerite “Peg” Harmon, director of the Catholic Community Services of Southern Arizona
- Dr. Leon A. LeBuffe, B.A 1966, co-founder of Partnership Program
- Kathryn Jean Lopez, B.A. 1997