‘Georgetown Glow’ Returns to Light up the Nights
By November 6, 2023 0 699•
Time to bundle up and pack that thermos of hot chocolate.
As winter darkness returns, the Georgetown Business Improvement District (BID) has plans to spark “Merriment in Georgetown” with the 9th edition of “Georgetown Glow” – a “free outdoor public light art experience” – as well as accompanying walking tours, a special shopping night, a cocktail crawl and a holiday market.
“Set against the historic backdrop of D.C.’s oldest neighborhood, Georgetown GLOW is the region’s only free curated outdoor public light art experience,” according to the Georgetown BID. “Established in 2014, the innovative exhibition has quickly become one of D.C.’s most anticipated events each year.”
This season, national and international artists will show five commissioned light art works in outdoor locations throughout the Georgetown commercial district, from 5-10:00 p.m. each evening, Dec. 1 through Jan. 7.
In conjunction with the five-week Georgetown Glow exhibition, the BID’s “Merriment in Georgetown” festivities will celebrate the holiday season with “gift guides, wintry chalet pop-ups,” ice skating at D.C.’s largest outdoor rink in Georgetown, “a cookie tour, and more.” More than 30 walking tours and a special evening of late-night shopping are also in the holiday mix.
“‘GLOW’ is one of the Georgetown BID’s most recognizable programs, and each year we challenge ourselves to further elevate what has become a D.C. holiday tradition for so many,” said Nancy Miyahira, vice president of marketing for the Georgetown BID. “This year’s works are by U.S. and international artists with a mix of artistic themes reflecting on science, nature, human interactions and community.”
Collaborating with Light Art Collective, this season’s light artists include Nicole Anona Banowetz (United States); Thiadmer van Galen, Jasper van Roden & (Netherlands); Viktor Vicsek (Hungary); Streetart Frankey (Netherlands); and Sergey Kim (United States). To find out more about the artists and the light works they’ll be illuminating in Georgetown this season, go here.
From the Georgetown BID, here are some highlights of their upcoming “Merriment in Georgetown” Program
- Small Business Saturday: Dozens of Georgetown small businesses are participating in Small Business Saturday on Nov. 25, offering in-store promotions, events and discounts.
- Georgetown Gift Guides: Four holiday gift guides are curated with some of Georgetown’s most unique finds. Whether you’re buying on a budget, splurging, or looking for a seasonal treat, we have you and your shopping lists covered. Gift Guides are available at georgetowndc.com/guides.
- GLOW Shopping Night + Making Spirits Bright Cocktail Crawl: More than 40 Georgetown restaurants and retailers are offering in-store specials and events during extended shopping hours on Wednesday, Dec. 6 from 5 pm – 8:30 pm. Additionally, more than a dozen restaurants and bars are serving up special holiday cocktails from 6 pm – 10 pm.
- Holiday Night Market & Chalet Pop-Ups: Neighbors DC is hosting a holiday night market on the lawn of Grace Church (1041 Wisconsin Ave NW) from 2 pm – 8:30 pm on Dec. 6 as part of GLOW Shopping Night. Vendor offerings include candles, jewelry, greeting cards, art, and novelties, plus a festive holiday workshop. Several wintry chalets will also pop-up throughout Georgetown on weekends during GLOW with event information and holiday programming.
- Outdoor Ice Skating: DC’s largest outdoor ice skating rink at Washington Harbour is back beginning Nov. 17 for another season – open for skating every day along the Potomac, including holidays. Visit thewashingtonharbour.com/ice-skating.
- Georgetown Cookie Tour: On Saturday, Dec. 9 from 12 pm – 4 pm, shoppers can support Georgetown’s local businesses and build their own holiday cookie box as they go, with treats from local bakeries. Attendees should purchase tickets here prior to the tour, which is produced by Georgetown Main Street.
- More Unexpected Holiday Cheer: Georgetown’s Calendar of Events includes even more holiday happenings and promotions. Visit georgetowndc.com/calendar for more.